TED'S GARAGE I ASK THE EXPERTS I PHOTO GALLERY I CTS STORE I PARTS & SERVICES  
Please
Visit Our
Sponsors
Classic Truck Wheels   Chevy & GMC Truck Parts   ClassicCar.com - Where Car Lover's Click  

I CLASSIFIEDS I ARTICLES I TECHNICAL I FORUMS I CHATS I CLUBS I PRICE GUIDES I NEWSLETTER SIGNUP  

Go Back   Classic Truck Shop Forums > FORD & MERCURY TRUCKS > Bonus Built Series

Bonus Built Series 1948 - 1952 F1 Trucks

Old 07-29-2008, 08:03 PM

Default 1954 Ford F-100 Project

I would appeciate some advice. I have been trying to sell my 1954 Ford F-100 truck project. My son and I started it and have done quite a bit of word including rebuilding the engine, rear end, radiator and transmission. This was started as a frame up restoration, so all original body parts have been removed, sanded and primed. Where we could, we have saved and cleaned original parts to be used for re-assembly. Presently, all parts, new and old are boxed and stored and we began to inventory what we had and what was needed to complete it. This is where the project stopped. Our enthusiasm and motivation have waned and it is time to say goodbye to this. I am asking $4000 for the truck. We originally paid $2000 and our receipts show over $8000 additional spent working on it.
I would be happy to sell this for $4000 but am uncertain if I am asking too much. If you read this, send a response to let me know if you think I am asking too much for the project. You can see more information at this web site I put together to show our work.

http://homepage.mac.com/salsafc/1954FordF100/Truck.html

Thanks,
Wmains

Reply To Member | Active Topics | Forward | Report Topic
Old 07-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Mr_Mac

First of all, welcome to the site!

The good news is, you have one of the most desired Ford trucks in the '54. People seem to like the 'fat-fendered' trucks a lot more than the later model versions. The bad news is, yes, you're asking too much for the truck.

Here's my reasoning; if the truck was a completed original restoration you might be right on the money for an asking price around the $4,000 mark. Unfortunately, many of us like the street modifications more than an original restoration (not all, but most) and for $4k we would be looking for a lot of the normal upgrades (i.e. IFS, V8, updated transmission/rear end, disc brakes, etc.).

These days most folks are looking for a good riding street-able version that we can drive once in a while to the local drive-in or the occasional car show. In short, for the money you're asking, the truck should be completed.

One of the most unfortunate parts in all of this is that a perspective buyer won't want to compensate you for the blood, sweat and tears you have invested. In their minds it was just something that needed to be done anyways and they still have a lot more to do.

That said (and remember, I own a Chevy) an asking price at around $2,000 to $2,500 might get it sold a lot faster than $4,000 but I'll defer that to a true Ford aficionado.

Mac
"just as the Son of man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many." Matthew 20:28

Old 07-31-2008, 03:21 PM

Default Exactly

Mr. Mac,
Thank you for your honest assessment of my predicament. I agree that having a classic restored with it's original parts doesn't seem to have as much interest as adding more current and powerful components. I'll keep this in mind as I lower my price and advertise this project.

Wmains
Old 07-31-2008, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Mr_Mac

I'd like to say I am glad I could help though I know it isn't easy to hear someone tell you you're asking too much money for something when you've put that much into it. I will say that I appreciate you taking it so well! With any luck we'll still get to hear for those who know these old Fords better than I and may be able to offer more encouraging information.

Mac
"just as the Son of man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many." Matthew 20:28